Recently, and carefully restored by Ward Apparatus. This chemical cart was fully disassembled, all brass, copper, and steel parts were bead blasted to remove the tarnishing and old paint. The brass and copper parts were buffed out to original finish. The chemical tanks had an "acid paste" applied, were cleaned, and buffed to their original finish. The steel components were sealed, primed, and painted. The wood spoke wheels were hand sanded, then laquered to original finish.
Not much is known about this cart as far as when it was purchased or used. It dates from around the 1890's. Chemical carts were the quick attack fire apparatus of the day. The cart would have been equipped with water, sodium bicarbonate and sulfuric acid.
The first fire company in Van Etten (Canfield Hook and Ladder Company) was organized in 1889 with 30 members. There are local stories of this cart being hand drawn to Swartwood Road to fight a structure fire.